Thursday, January 21, 2016

Batten Down the Hatches!

This Week at GCMS:
Not much action to report at GCMS this week, with the MLK Holiday, one day with students, and then the winter weather cancellations of school.  I took the day off yesterday with the slick roads but decided to come in today since ice and an even bigger snow event is forecasted for tonight and tomorrow.  My driving in snow and ice personality has made something of a full circle over the years.  When I was a new driver in the early 80’s, I didn’t have a vehicle suited to drive in the snow, but I loved nothing better than to get out there and slide around in the middle of it.  My ’74 Chevy was proficient if not distinguished in making donuts on the big parking lot across from Breezy Hill store at Falls of Rough.  When I got married and had a family, I still loved to get out in it, but with 4 wheel drive.  I could make it anywhere, anytime…a regular Klondike Jack.  As I have gotten older and perhaps wiser, I have realized that getting rid of the 4X4 actually gives me a great excuse not to get out there and risk life and limb.  I’m still proficient, if not distinguished, but I realize that there are a lot of novices and apprentices sliding around out there!  The insurance companies and emergency rooms don’t care if those novice drivers are from the non-duplicated gap group or not.  If we have an inch of ice and a foot of snow in the next 24 hours, I will plan to be at the house on Friday.  I would encourage everyone to stay home unless you absolutely have to be out.  Be safe if you do have to be out.  See you after the thaw!

Quote of the Day:
"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."
— A. A. Milne

Coming Attractions:

GRVC boys basketball and District Governor’s Cup are scheduled for Saturday but look very doubtful at this point.  Coaches will contact players and parents about any cancellations or rescheduling of events.

No comments:

Post a Comment